Tuesday, May 03, 2011

But That's Me, And I Was Just Thinking


  1. “Good morning, Mr. Hunt. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves the recovery of a stolen item designated "Chimera." You may select any two team members, but it is essential that the third member of your team be Nyah Nordoff-Hall. She is a civilian, and a highly capable professional thief. You have forty-eight hours to recruit Miss Hall and meet me in Seville to receive your assignment. As always, should any member of your team be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions.” (Mission Impossible II, 2000)I am not writing this to disparage President Obama or our courageous special operations teams that took out Osama Bin Laden. I want that said because I have heard over the course of the last few days so much that is just so much bunk that I can no longer keep quiet.In the President’s address Sunday night he stated that he “assembled a team” to take out OBL. I just do not understand this statement from the Commander-In-Chief. He made sound like he was giving instructions to Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible. Special Operations teams have been around as long as there has been a United States Military. I met a man recently who belonged to a special ops team. He told me that his team was assigned to bring out a “high value target”. Without going into detail of why he was telling this story, he said that his team had been together for 10 years. They knew each other better than they knew themselves. The rest of his story isn’t important. What is important is that his team had been together for 10 years. Unlike the IMF team in the movies, you don’t just assemble a team at the last minute. These Special Ops guys are a highly trained unit and work together very closely. I expect they have been together for a number of years. I proudly salute these guys – professionals in every way. Now, something I need to say to those who have never found a conspiracy they didn’t like. As a soldier I am offended when I hear someone doubt that this team took out OBL. First, it would take a huge conspiracy and lots of conspirators to pull off a hoax like some are saying took place. I will tell you this, American soldiers are not mind numbed robots that blindly follow orders. First, there is no way a hoax could be perpetrated upon the American people without the truth being leaked; and second, no American Soldier would be a part of such a hoax. What I hear described is what Hollywood puts in the script of a B movie. This piece will not self destruct in 10 seconds, but, that’s me and I was just thinking.

0 Read My Post: