Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Swim






Yesterday was Memorial Day and, even though it is a day late, thank you
to all the veterans who happen to read this! On Memorial Day we
usually have a BBQ and swim in the pool. At the end of last week it was
"iffy" as to whether or not the pool would be ready. But, thanks to KFD, it
was.

I went down to the Killeen Water Department on Friday and picked up a
hydrant water meter ($650 deposit, which I get back today when I return
the meter, less the charge for the water). I went to the fire
department to see if I could borrow some 1 ½ inch fire hose to fill my pool.
The Lieutenant I spoke with told me that the only person who could
authorize the loaning of the hose was on leave, so I was out of luck. BUT, he
said he could send a fire truck over to fill the pool. GREAT! So when
I got home from work, Holly and I (mostly Holly) finished pressure
washing the pool and pumping out the old water. We got most of it out, but
there was a little we could not get because of the time factor. When
the fire truck arrived (lots of looks from the neighbors), the fire crew
used a 2 ½ inch hose, and had the pool filled in an hour and thirty
five minutes! Only problem, the water was brown! No problem I assured
everyone, who looked at me skeptically. I tested the water before I
treated it and found the PH level to be extremely high. No problem, when I
shocked the pool I would add a half gallon of muriatic acid, which
brings down the PH. But, when I went to get a gallon of acid, I couldn't
find it. So I just shocked the pool. The next morning the brown water had
turned to green. Now the skeptics were out in full force. I tested the
water and the shock had brought the PH level way down, so I actually
had to add PH increaser. A few hours later, I added some flock to clear
the water. On Sunday morning the water was crystal clear and BLUE! I am
so good! Then on Memorial Day I vacuumed the pool and now it is blue,
clear and swimmable.

We had been invited to Brett and Cindy's for a Memorial Day BBQ, but
Mom had worked and was very tired. I was doing the yard and was beat
myself. So we begged off going. Then at the last minute, Heather changers
her plans and had a BBQ. so we walked over and had dinner. Earlier in
the late afternoon, I was in the house cooling off and resting a bit when
Tyler came in and asked if they could swim in the pool and use the
diving board. I told them sure, and then went out and joined them. Later,
Maddie came and I swam with her. After an hour, older kids decided to
go back over to McCourt's Pool. A few minutes later, Kimber and Maddie
went to Heather's too. I got dressed and Mom and I went over then, for
dinner. So we had a BBQ and went swimming on Memorial Day...tradition
unbroken.

Next big thing is when Hilary and her kiddos come down for a couple of
weeks. The pool will be ready!

0 Read My Post: